This recipe is for Patricia, who visited us from Canada a week ago, who so much enjoyed these meatballs at our family picnic in the wonderful Lainzer Tiergarten. Contrary to its name, the Lainzer Tiergarten is not a zoo but rather a very nice piece of nature within the boundaries of Vienna. There are deer, a pond and a neat lawn overlooking the great playground where the kids can roam while the rest of the family are having a picnic. We had the meatballs, some Wiener Schnitzel, a courgette & cherry tomato tart and the essential picnic potato salad.
So here´s the recipe (adapted from “Party Basics” by Cornelia Schinharl and Sebastian Dickhaut)
1 tbsp raisins
1 tbsp sesame seeds
a couple of mint sprigs
1 large onion
500g minced meat (beef & pork)
1/2 tsp each cumin and cinammon
pepper to taste
3 tbsp breadcrumbs
3 tbsp oil
1) Soak the raisins in hot water.
2) Dry roast the sesame-seeds
3) Pick, wash & chop the mint leaves
4) Chop the oinion & sauté in 1tbsp of the oil for ca. 5 min until golden
5) Drain & chop the raisins
6) Now mix the mince, the raisins,the sesame, the mint, the onion, the spices, the egg and the breadcrumbs. Make small meatballs (ca. 30).
6) Fry the meatballs in 2 tbsp of the oil until browned on all sides and cooked through (ca. 8 min)